Friday, August 30, 2013

Harry Potter and the Five Sisters

Hop on over to The Surly Librarian for my new post about the Harry Potter series and how I imagine J.K. Rowling could create a powerful adult novel from some crucial yet seldom seen characters.

"Deathly Hallows" symbolHere is a taste of the post:
For my summer reading this year, I felt knackered enough from the challenges of work that I didn't want to "work at" reading. So....I decided to reread the whole Harry Potter series straight through. What a treat…!

Something struck me toward the end of the last book, The Deathly Hallows, a curiosity about five powerful women.  They are rarely seen in the novels, yet they play essential roles in the overall story.  I thought it might be intriguing for Rowling to write a novel for adults from the perspective of these "Five Sisters…."

What, I wonder, could we learn of the tragic and powerful family dynamics of the Blacks and the Evans? All five women pulled in extremely different directions. All five together determining the fate of the world. 

Now that would be a novel!
Blessèd Be
Bright Crow