Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Centers of production

Over on Quaker Pagan Reflections, Cat has published a new post called "The Saturday Farm." Cat's key theme is this:

I keep thinking of a comment Joel Salatin made in Yes Magazine once, about how Americans have become used to thinking of our homes as centers of consumption, but how once, thinking of your home as a center of production...was the norm.

Saturdays at home have become very productive days. And that productivity--the willingness to substitute patience, skill, and thrift for consumption--I've come to think of as a species of farming.
I particularly like this definition of productivity: the willingness to substitute patience, skill, and thrift for consumption.

Chef Jim, producing (11/25/2010)

Nothing appeals to me more than finding that my family, friends, colleagues and I can produce what is of true value out of our own gifts and steadfast efforts.

Take a look at Cat's whole post. It's beautiful.

Blessèd Be,
Michael